|Area:||7 780 km2|
|Expenditure per capita:||4 510 zł|
|Mirosław Franciszek MurzydłoWójt||Jacek LisewskiPrzewodniczący Rady|
Subkowy Municipality is divided into 11 villages, all with their own distinctive tradition. Bordering the Żuławy, the flood plain where the Vistula meets the Baltic, and well connected with the larger towns of the Gdansk Metropolitan area makes this a great place to live. It has good road and rail connections, lying on major routes that cross the area.
The name Subkowy in its various forms, Sobków, Schobków, Szobków i Sobkowy, dates back to 1675, and is derived from Subisława or Subiesława, a Pomeranian prince who founded the monastery at Oliwa.
The high quality of the soil provides the mainstay of the local agricultural economy, which covers 80% of the land. The most important crops are wheat, barley, oil seed rape and sugar beet. Firms such as 'Agros', 'Litawa', 'Latocha as well as 'Fregata' are based here.
The most beautiful area runs along the lower Vistula with the church of St Wojciech at Gorzędzieje a highlight, its fine reliquary and grounds are well worth a visit. The parish itself dates back to 1280, though there are stories of St Wojciech of Prague passing through as far back as 997 whilst on his way to missionary work in Prussia. Any visitor should certainly take a walk around the manor houses at Rybaki, Radostowie as well as Mały Garc, one time home to the landed gentry.
The rolling landscape is ideally suited to more active forms of tourism and the trails at 'Doliny Dolnej Wisły' or Lower Vistula Valley Trail and 'Ziemi Tczewskiej im. R. Klima', (the R Klim Tczew lands Trail) are becoming increasingly popular.
Subkowy Municipality has many international ties with youth exchanges a regular feature of the school year; youngsters from all over Europe come and experience the flavour of the region in return. The fire brigade have been busy too and the twinning with Steimbke and Heemsen in Lower Saxony have lead to competitions and the acquisition of new equipment.